Summer in Japan

Time to do more overdue blogging.

This year was my first full summer in Japan.
When I studied abroad in Kyoto 2 years ago, I left in the beginning of August when it started to feel like an oven out on the streets. This time, I couldn't run back to the cool Bay area weather.

After a week of intensive training at my company's headquarters and a week of observation (I had to jump into teaching that week though), I had 2 weeks of summer vacation in the beginning of August. I wasn't expecting such a long break so soon, and it was disappointing to have so much free time but have no money. The first full paycheck wasn't until the end of September.

So I didn't go anywhere far for my 2-week break. Another teacher and I ended up buying the JR Seishun 18 pass (JR= Japan rail), which was a special limited-offer that allowed unlimited rides on the JR local and rapid trains up to 5 nonconsecutive times. For more information, please check out the JR official site: http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/seishun18.html

We thought it was a pretty sweet deal, but afterward we realized how long it would take to go anywhere far because we were limited to just the local and rapid trains. To make each trip worth the price of the pass, we had to use at least 2300 yen worth of train fare. Going to Tokyo from Chiba doesn't always add up to that amount, and going anywhere farther would take maybe 3 or more hours on the train.

I pulled so many all-nighters those two weeks, either because I was out drinking and shooting zombies at the game center, or I missed the last train. I went to Tokyo pretty often to meet up with friends, and with the Seishun 18 pass I went to some places like Kamakura and Yokohama, which were farther from Chiba.
I did a solo trip to Kamakura after meeting up with a friend in Tokyo for lunch. I wanted to see the famous big Buddha. The streets were packed with tourists. It wasn't too difficult to find the main attractions--just follow the crowds.
 So here's the big Buddha in Kamakura. Honestly, I was really disappointed. I thought it would be bigger. The temple area was rather small as well, but still many tourists flocked to see and take pictures of this "big" statue.
Side alley that looked cool

After Kamakura, it was another long train ride back home. Since I had the Seishun 18 pass, I wanted to make it worth the trip. Exhausted as I was, I stopped at Akihabara station and Ginza station to take a look around. I mostly just wanted the fluffy apple cheese bread from the bakery Vie de France in Akihabara (so delicious). It was my first time in Ginza, though.
 I didn't venture too far in Ginza, but from what I saw around the station, it was mainly a shopping district. Lots of brand name shops and clothes I know I can't afford.
Ginza station
More later in another blog>>