I started my Thanksgiving with a wonderful surprise from my amazing amigas back home. Thank you for helping me cure my homesickness! Your awesomeness makes me miss home a bit more, though.
Let's see, what did I learn on Thanksgiving? I learned that a large pot of oil can catch fire, fire extinguishers don't stop spraying until they are completely empty, things turn pink after they're sprayed by fire extinguishers, and drinking beer helps with colds (a little).
It was a very unfortunate afternoon for my friend. Long story short, the falafel lunch party she threw was canceled because the big pot of oil she was boiling caught fire. Luckily, nothing else caught fire and nobody was hurt. The smoke was terrifying, though. I helped call the fire department, and at least 4 fire trucks (and a helicopter...) showed up. We were able to put out the fire using the fire extinguishers, but we wanted the firemen to double check that it was completely out.
The firemen questioned us for a long time, especially me since I spoke the most Japanese out of all of us there. I wondered if they were going to quiz each other about the details of the situation.
There were a lot more firetrucks and police cars (plus a helicopter..). It was really quite impressive and unnecessary. I wanted to take a picture of all of it, but it didn't feel like the appropriate time. I snapped a picture of the last firetruck when everything was over.
Then I ended the night by having a few drinks with some of the teachers. The boys decided to do a beer challenge.
Unusual Thanksgiving, but I learned a lot.
Hope everyone had a great one. I'm thankful for everyone's safety that day, for this opportunity to work abroad, and especially for all the wonderful people who are always there for me and always inspire me to do better.
.jpg)