Autumn Glory- Showa Kinen Park


Coming from the Bay Area, California where the weather is relatively tame and seasons are not distinctly different, I knew I had to experience Japan's koyo (autumn-colored foliage; 紅葉) at least once. While there were many beautiful places to see the changing colors of autumn leaves in Chiba, I decided to meet up with my Tokyo friends and make a trip to Showa Kinen Park located in Nishi-tachikawa. Nishi-tachikawa was a long way from Chiba, but it was well worth the trip. The park was quite expansive, so there was a lot of walking involved. I was so impressed with the brilliant golds, oranges, and reds all growing densely together. I didn't need to saturate any of my pictures to show off nature's beautiful colors.



 Peachy
 Beautiful road lined with golden gingko trees
 Gingko trees smell funny.
 
子供の森 ("Children's forest")- We heard loud noises as we were walking and realized we entered a crazy war zone where kids get to jump on bouncy white domes. It was only for middle school kids and younger, though. Where's the bounce house for adults? [Sorry for the bad picture.]


 Juicy reds and oranges
 the Japanese garden
 
 bamboo and autumn leaves
Gold, gold everywhere~

The sunny afternoon soon transitioned into a chilly evening. Visitors slowly made their way out the park as the park announcers politely announce the park's closing. I highly recommend this park for viewing Japan's spectacular autumn leaves. Although Mt. Takao is another popular destination during the Fall season, this park is spacious enough to roam freely and feel at peace among the trees.