While I was still an EFL teacher in Japan, I took a trip with a friend to Korea during the week-long break Golden Week. Although we stayed in both Seoul and Busan, I will highlight some places in Busan since I took the most pictures there.
The coastal city of Busan had beautiful natural scenery and was a breathe of fresh air from the big city of Seoul. My friend and I were lucky to have a friend drive us to some popular destinations, though taking a taxi would have still been pretty cheap (taxis are SO cheap in Korea: http://www.exploringkorea.com/taxis-in-seoul/).
HAEUNDAE BEACH
We didn't spend too much time here, but the sunshine, blue skies and water, and coastal breeze were refreshing.
The APEC (Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation) conference hall was located nearby. Not a whole lot to see around here, though I bet the beach is a popular summer destination.
For more information about the area: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haeundae_District
YONGGUNGSA TEMPLE
Beautiful temple nestled among the rocks by the sea, the Yonggungsa attracted a good number of visitors. It was not a strenuous walk up the temple, but there were quite a few stone steps to conquer. Best not to wear heels (though some ladies somehow made it up with heels on).
Stone statues of the 12 zodiac animals near the entrance
Golden Buddha from afar (pic above) and up close (pic below)
Lots of other interesting statues and figurines to see in this large temple by the sea.
Lots to buy and eat at the Gukje Market. Don't miss the Hotteok (sweet Korean pancake)--they make it differently in Busan than in Seoul. The street food is cheap and good...
GAMCHEON ART VILLAGE
Probably my favorite place in Busan so far, the Gamcheon Art Village (or Korea's Santorini) is vibrantly colored and intriguing. Here is an interesting article from CNN about this unique town: http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/10/travel/busan-gamcheon-village/index.html
Le Petite Prince and the fox
Busan Station at night: looks like the perfect setting for a Korean drama!













