Night illumination at Chidorigafuchi


After seeing the cherry blossoms at Ueno Park, I took the Tokyo Metro Ginza Line to Nihonbashi, where I transferred to the Tozai Line to get to Kudanshita. Chidorigafuchi is another popular hanami spot in Tokyo and is also the National Cemetery for the unidentified war dead from WWII.  I followed the crowds and stepped out of exit 2, where I immediately found myself facing the moat around the Imperial Palace. All around the moat, massive cherry trees in full bloom stretched their branches over the dark waters. 

It was very difficult to shoot in the dark, especially since most of the area around the moat wasn't lit up. I was still on the side opposite the illumination area. A lone boat was slowly gliding across the dark waters.


I have never seen such large cherry trees, and so many all in one area! It looked so unreal.


After struggling with shooting sakura in the dark, I walked over to the bright side of the moat and discovered the illumination area. Rows of huge cherry trees stretched on down the long street, their pale pink and white petals lit up by white, fluorescent lights.


My eyes felt so bedazzled by the enveloping canopy of glowing blossoms. How strange and wonderful to look up and see all blossoms instead of sky!


I decided not to walk all the way down the road and head off in the direction of the food stands. The illumination lasted until 10pm, so I still had time to explore.
I went across the street and discovered the Daiichi Torii, or the Great Gate, of the Yasukuni Shrine. The gate was so massive that I had to stare in a awe for a bit.

The rows of yattai ran along the wide path of the Yasukuni Shrine.
Further down the path, I found more cherry trees and people picnicking under them. It was lively and crowded like Ueno Park, but the massive gate, wide paths, and the huge space gave this hanami location a different feel.

The illumination at Chidorigafuchi should last until next Sunday (4/7). Two more weeks to see the glorious sakura world!